You may remember the announcement back in 2016 that the ’88 film Elvira: Mistress of the Dark was getting a Blu-ray release courtesy of German company Cinespectral Films. The Blu-ray was set to be released that December, but it was pushed back a few times before being cancelled entirely last year. Long story short, Cinespectral went under, killing the release.
As they teased earlier this year, Arrow Video is instead giving the film its Blu-ray debut, fully detailed by the company today. Sadly, it’s a UK only release (Region B).
Special Edition Contents Include:
- Brand new restoration from a 4K scan of the original interpositive
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
- Original Uncompressed Stereo 2.0 audio
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Introduction to the film by director James Signorelli
- 2017 audio commentary with director James Signorelli, hosted by Fangoria Editor Emeritus Tony Timpone
- 2017 audio commentary with Elvira Webmaster and judge of US TV show The Search for the Next Elvira Patterson Lundquist
- Archival audio commentary with actors Cassandra Peterson, Edie McClurg and writer John Paragon
- Too Macabre – The Making of Elvira: Mistress of the Dark – newly-revised 2018 version of this feature-length documentary on the making of the film including interviews with various cast and crew and rare never-before-seen archival material
- Recipe for Terror: The Creation of the Pot Monster – newly-revised 2018 version of this featurette on the concept and design of the pot monster, as well as the other SFX of the movie
- Original Storyboards
- Original US Theatrical and Teaser Trailers
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Sara Deck
- FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Patterson Lundquist and a short note on the 2012 audio commentary by Sam Irvin
Arrow has also made the film available to stream on UK’s Amazon Prime.
In Elvira: Mistress of the Dark:
“When her great aunt dies, famous horror hostess Elvira heads for the uptight New England town Falwell to claim her inheritance of a haunted house, a witch’s cookbook and a punk rock poodle. But once the stuffy locals get an eyeful of the scream queen’s ample assets, all hell busts out and breaks loose. Can the Madonna of the Macabre find love with a studly cinema owner, avoid her creepy great uncle, titillate the town’s teens and become a Las Vegas dance sensation all without being burned alive at the stake?”