We told you back in 2017 that the Criterion Collection had obtained most of the “Shōwa era” Godzilla films – the timeline spanning from the original Godzilla in 1954 to Terror of Mechagodzilla in 1975 – which had been licensed out to Starz and then later appeared on the now-defunct FilmStruck. Now they’re part of the brand new Criterion Channel!
Just launched this week, the Criterion Channel is the Collection’s official streaming service, loaded with classics and discoveries from around the world, thematically programmed with special features. The channel provides “continuous access to Criterion’s streaming library of more than 1,000 important classic and contemporary films, plus a constantly refreshed selection of Hollywood, international, art-house, and independent films from major studios and dozens of independent distributors.” And yes, that includes tons of classic Kaiju flicks!
Currently streaming on the Criterion Channel, you ask?
- Godzilla (1954)
- Godzilla Raids Again (1955)
- Godzilla: King of the Monsters (1956)
- Rodan (1956)
- Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964)
- Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster (1964)
- Invasion of Astro-Monster (1965)
- War of the Gargantuas (1966)
- Son of Godzilla (1967)
- Destroy All Monsters (1968)
- All Monsters Attack (1969)
- Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)
- Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla (1974)
- Terror of MechaGodzilla (1975)